Monday, September 11, 2017

The Church in Aurora

The Church in Aurora    9" x 12"    Pastel      ©Sheila Ashley Liston
Available $150



Day 10 of Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days, September 2017 Challenge

This is an historic Church in my city in Aurora, Ohio. It has beautiful nighttime lighting that just seems to reach out to me. On this particular evening in the fall, the rain and wind had started to bring some leaves down. The reflection of the church itself cast a soft illumination on the street in front.  The smell of fall was in the air. Our car in the library's parking lot served as a studio that night, until there was no more light to see my pastels. I finished it today in the comfort of my studio.
Well I am one third of the way through the challenge. It was hard to focus on painting over the weekend, as with many people, my mind was on Hurricane Irma and its' effects on the people of the southeastern states. We have family and friends in a few of those states. We do continue to pray for the recovery of the people there.


My husband and I found this Bible in the dumpster behind our shop a few years ago. I wanted to try my hand at Bible Journaling with making art directly on its pages. I was reluctant to try this in my other Bibles.  Since this one was already a bit dirty and dog-eared, I gave it a try.  This one seemed to speak to the situation with the hurricanes and floods this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment