Monday, September 4, 2017

Adirondack Experience


Adirondack Museum View      5" x 6"     Pastel      ©Sheila Ashley Liston
Available $75



Day 4 of Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days Challenge, September 2017

A September view from the observation deck at the Adirondack Experience Museum...


The former Adirondack Museum is now called Adirondack Experience and appropriately so. The natural beauty is a breathtaking experience as the museum sits on Blue Mountain Lake in Blue Mountain, New York . The grounds, buildings, and historic displays are worth a visit with something to enjoy for all ages, as well an many events during the year.  There's a lifetime of painting subjects there.

I especially enjoyed the view above Blue Mountain Lake from the observation deck with lovely, well cared for plantings of a variety of flowers. I love painting places like this as it helps to embed the experience in my mind. Also, I get a chance to relive our time spent there with long time friends and new friends from our last visit. 

I began with a simple thin wash of black, mapping out where my darks and lights were located.


I then laid in some beginning color to establish a tone for the whole painting. Once I began with the foliage and flowers I became so focused that I forgot to take another progress shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment