Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Glade Creek

Glade Creek    4" x 8"    Acrylic   ©Sheila Ashley Liston
Available $85



Day 6 of Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days, September 2017. 

As I stood on the bridge, Glade Creek was sending rushing water under the bridge, past the mill and on to the waterfalls below.  Glade Creek runs through Babcock State Park in West Virginia where the Glade Creek Grist Mill is located. (See blog on September 1, 2017)

I grew up in Dille, West Virginia with a creek running in front of our house. This scene reminded me of the times that it would rain so heavy that it seemed to touch the bottom of the bridge leading to our house. It was moving so fast that I would actually feel like I could lose my balance while looking down through the spaces between the boards. As a child, I believed that the water would never go above that level.  The sound was actually soothing as I would sleep. 

In June of 2015, flash flooding in West Virginia took out the bridge where I lived. This was when flooding affected people over a large part of the state. As a child, I never imagined so much devastation could have ever occurred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment