Saturday, September 23, 2017

Foxglove at Brookgreen

Foxglove at Brookgreen    6" x 6"    Pastel       ©Sheila Ashley Liston
Available $75



Day 23 of Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days Challenge, September 2017

 Upon arising this morning I walked down the hall, rubbed my eyes, yawned, and started this painting. And here's the real surprise, this was before coffee, no less! Miraculous benefits of painting daily are becoming apparent to me. 

Bill and I visited Brookgreen Gardens in Murrells Inlet, SC. This is a sculpture garden and wildlife preserve with many lovely flowers and even a butterfly garden. I have known that the foxglove plant is used in making medication that benefits the heart. What I didn't know was that the plant itself is poisonous. There is a slight difference between a therapeutic amount and a fatal dose! I've been interested in painting medicinal plants after observing a garden displaying these at Northeastern Ohio Medical College in Rootstown, OH. We photographed those gardens so that I could paint them in the future. 



1 comment: