Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Misty Memories

Misty Memories    4" x 7"   Pastel    ©Sheila Ashley Liston
Available $75



    

Day 7 of my personal challenge of painting 7 paintings in 7 days. These were my "warm-up" exercises before starting 30 in 30, beginning September 1, along with 1500+  artists. Like any challenge, this demands planning ahead for an interesting growth and learning experience.

On the last day of my challenge, I decided to paint simply an impression of the ocean, wherever the painting decided to lead me. It does remind me of our first trip to Maine years ago, as we walked along Marginal Way in Ogunquit. The weather report promised rain all day, so we purchased ponchos and headed out into the storm. It was a totally exhilarating experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat! With the wind and surf leaving us breathless, our umbrella's only option was to morph into a useful walking stick. The only regret was that I couldn't take art supplies into that environment!

I decided to try a different surface to paint on this time. It is a mixture of pumice and gesso on 300# watercolor paper. I did enjoy experimenting with a new method for me, as it added a significant amount of texture. I began with a watercolor sketch first, and then added layers of pastel. I guess you could say memories of that adventurous day and a new adventurous painting surface brought about this painting. I'll definitely try this surface again in a larger format.


No comments:

Post a Comment